Maybe you demand for a recommendation letter giving information about your academical background, your characteristics, your aims, studies you made, or you may write it for your friend or your employee. Recommendation letter is quietly important both for a job application and for an educational application. So, you should take consideration some points while writing that letter.
To have some good references can be specific factor for you to get new job offers and to reach your aims. For example; if an employer who thinks positively for you, can offer a job to you by looking at your references, or when you apply for an academic program, a reference letter evaluating you and your studies well, can affect for you to be accepted to that program. Besides that, your friend or your employee can want a recommendation letter from you. By being careful how to write a recommendation letter, you can write a well-prepared letter for them.
How to Write A Recommendation Letter?
Each paragraph in a recommendation letter has a different importance. You can follow this order while you are writing your letter.
The First Paragraph: While you are starting to write the recommendation letter, you should firstly mention about who you are, where and how long you know him or her who you give a reference. A person who reading the reference letter, firstly wants to learn this detail. That’s why, you should give information about the person your advice in the first paragraph of the letter.
The Second Paragraph: The second paragraph of recommendation letter includes private information about the person who is advice. In this paragraph, characteristics, personality, aims and successes are described. You should mention about studies, projects, contribution to the institutions, performances, personality’s advantages of the person who is advice.
The Third Paragraph: In this step of recommendation letter, a short summary of why that person is advised, includes. By emphasizing of the person’s characteristics, by expressing his or her suitability to the position which is advised, the letter is completed.
In the end of the recommendation letter, you add your signature, then you write your name, surname and title. It is written contact information (phone number, e-mail address, address, etc.) under the title. If this letter should be sent by e-mail, you have to use an electronic signature.
Other Details to Be Considered While Writing A Recommendation Letter
- A recommendation letter should have a positive touch.
- The person who is given a reference, should be evaluated single – mindedly and optimistically in the letter.
- If you don’t have enough communication with a person, you shouldn’t demand a recommendation letter.
- It is important to be said why a reference letter is demanded to the person who is demanded it. Thus, the letter to be written becomes more suitable for the aim.
- After the letter is written, mistakes of grammar, spelling and punctuation marks are controlled. After necessary corrections are made, an example of the letter is sent to the person who is given a reference. And final control is made.
The Most Important Points While Evaluating an Applicant
- Communication Skills
- Sense of Responsibility
- Taking Initiative
- Leadership Skills
- Self-Consciousness – Self Knowledge
- To Be Able to Solve Problems
- To Reach Aims
- Suitable Occupational Skills
Recommendation Letter Format
Salutation (If you know the person’s name, you can use Dear, Mr. or Mrs.; but if you don’t know, you should use “To Whom It May Concern” as your salutation.)
Paragraph 1 (Introduction Paragraph)
Paragraph 2 (Body Paragraph)
Paragraph 3 (Final Paragraph)
Closing (You should use “Best Regard or Regard”.)
Name – Surname